Friday, August 23, 2013

Feel Bad For You August '13


The dog days wane, Any song, any genre, any year. As always, your favorite bloggers, muso's, twittererers, couchalotists, and trend setters have a lot of interests so we've got a wide range of musical genres and artists. There’s some old favorites and some new stuff too, so in your car, your cube or just chillin' in the hammock put the headphones on and enjoy this eclectic mix.
Add your two cents here.
Download






1. Title: Por Ai
Artist: Bárbara Eugênia
Album (2010): Journal de BAD
Submitted By: hoosier buddy
Comments: One of the thinks to do in Brazil is to stay out all night, smoking cigarettes and drinking Coca-Cola. This song is about that cultural meme, and also about missing someone, and wishing they would come by. Bárbara Eugênia is influenced by Brazilian and French music, and brings a retro vibe to contemporary arrangements. Check out the strange video here:http://www.last.fm/music/B%C3%A1rbara+Eug%C3%AAnia/+videos/+1-MHTctCpx-C4
2. Title: The Truth
Artist: Dr. Dog
Album: B-Room (2013)
Submitted By: Mad Mackerel
Comments: The first taste of Dr. Dog’s forthcoming album sees them oozing classic Philly soul with their traditional indie-folk stylings to create something rather special.
3. Title: Pancho and Lefty
Artist: Townes Van Zandt
Album (1973): Live at the Old Quarter Houston Texas
Submitted by: Gorrck
Comments: picked this up on vinyl yesterday — one of my favorite songs. Fantastic album overall. I think I’ll go have some breakfast whiskey now.
4. Title: Cryin’ Like A Fool
Artist: Jerry McCain
Album (1997): Rock ‘n’ Roll Ball
Submitted by: @BoogieStudio22
Comments: A blues blog, that posts a lot of out of print blues LPs, turned me on to Jerry McCain a few months ago. There’s some standout songs on this album, but this one is just a hoot!
5./6. Title: Into / When A Fire Starts To Burn
Artist: Disclosure
Album (2013): Settle
Submitted By: @philnorman
Comments: Best EDM record I’ve heard this year, not that I’ve heard a lot of them. People don’t wanna do nuthin’ with they life.
7. Title: King James
Artist: I Can Lick Any SOB In The House
Album: (2013) Mayberry
Submitted By: Romeo Sid Vicious
Comments: I think this song speaks for itself and anything I can say would only take away from that…
8. Title: Swept Under The Rug
Artist: Francie Moon
Album (2013): Unreleased
Submitted By: @Popa2unes
Comments: I have been following this young New Jersey lady’s (Melissa Lucciola) musical growth since she started her career a few years ago, I submitted a song from her a while back when she recorded as Melissa & Paul. She has since done some solo releases and is stretching her wings and is growing tremendously in her writing, playing and singing. I saw a video of this song on facebook where she played it at a fire pit show, and had to have it so she sent me two unreleased versions of it. it moves me like Billie Holiday moves me I hear similarities between them, I listen to it multiple times a day and I hope youse all enjoy it to. She has giving me permission to share it with you all, she now goes by the name Francie Moon and is adding collaborator’s for the next step in her young career.
9. Title: Fake Palindromes
Artist: Andrew Bird
Album (2005): Andrew Bird & the Mysterious Production of Eggs
Submitted By: @mikebeebe
Comments: Saw Andrew Bird for the first time at Newport Folk Festival this year, one the few remaining artists on my “must see bucket list”…so yeah, it was great. Here’s one of my favorite AB tracks, even though he didn’t play it at Newport. Oh well. Next time!
10. Title: Ponzi Scheme
Artist: Eric Brace and Peter Cooper
Album (2013): The Comeback Album
Submitted by: Adam Dawson (www.BrokenJukebox.com)
Comments: These two were meant to sing with one another, the harmonies are phenomenal. With a band featuring the great Lloyd Green on pedal steel they continue to put out the best Country records today in my opinion. This one is from the record they released earlier this year and is an co-write between the two.
11. Title: Thief in My Mouth
Artist: The Weeks
Album (2013): Dear Bo Jackson
Submitted By: Trailer
Comments:
12. Title: Mirage
Artist: The Queers
Album (1995): Surf Goddess
Submitted By: annieTUFF
Comments: You can’t go wrong with the Queers, you just can’t. Live shows or recording.
13. Title: Kings and Thrones
Artist: Outer Minds
Album (2013): Southpaw
Submitted By: @popa2unes
Comments: because psych fuzz is good for your brain
14. Title: Good Country Girl
Artist: Alexander Hudjohn featuring Katherine Hudjohn
Album (2013): Good Country Girl (digital single)
Submitted by: @BoogieStudio22
Comments: A late arrival. I’ve followed Alexander Hudjohn for a while and I got an email about a new release. Something about this grabbed me so I had to share. Available on Bandcamp.
15. Title: Elephant
Artist: Jason Isbell
Album (2013): Southeastern
Submitted By: Rockstar Aimz
Comments: It’s rare when a song stops me in my tracks. On a Saturday afternoon I was doing some crap around my house and listening to Bryan’s Ninebullets Radio show, when this song stopped me cold. I saw Jason and his band last night (7/29) in Cambridge, MA, and maybe it was the Schlitz tall boys, or the fact that I’m a chick, or that I’m a sucker for the sad songs, but this song brought me to tears. Second time in the last year I have cried at a live show. Stupid runny mascara.
16. Title: OK Corral
Artist: T. Hardy Morris
Album (2013): Audition Tapes
Submitted by: Corey Flegel (This Is American Music)
Comments: Hardy’s record is probably my favorite non-TIAM record of the year…so good from top to bottom. Matt Stoessel (South San Gabriel) almost steals the show at times on pedal steel.
17. Title: Little Bit of White Trash
Artist: Jeff Porter
Album (2006): 15 Miles
Submitted By: toomuchcountry
Comments: Before pointing at someone else and labeling them as white trash, remember that three other fingers are pointing back at you. Unless of course, one of them is just a nub remaining from that unfortunate bicycle spoke incident you choose not to discuss. Either way, just make sure none of them has a booger on the end. And as the sweltering heat of August sets in, may you enjoy the soak of your calloused feet in your Kmart blue plastic pool.
18. Title: My Favorite Picture of You (live) – UNRELEASED
Artist: Guy Clark
Submitted By: @tincanman2010
Comments: The title track of Guy’s new album has been a staple of his live shows for several years. One of his gentlest, sweetest and best songs, the polaroid was taken when his wife was yelling at he and Townes Van Zandt for getting drunk in the garage when they were supposed to be doing yardwork or somesuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...